Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee Charter
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Meeting Notes
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Internal Resources
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion External Resources
This list of resources was compiled by member organizations during and after the 2017 OCFSN convening, for the purpose of collective education. Feel free to send additional resources to [email protected] to add to this list.
- D5’s Foundation DEI Self-Assessment
- Meyer Memorial Trust Applicant Tools and Resources
- Coalition of Communities of Color’s Organizational Assessment tool.
- Building blocks for equity: compilation of tools to establish a solid organizational equity foundation from the Regional Arts & Culture Council
- Race Matters: Organization Self Assessment focusing on staffing, operations, and next steps
- Tool for informing planning and strategy from Racial Equity Tools
- Oregon Metro assessment
Organizational Role Models
- Sisters of the Road: organizational & personal policies.
- Going beyond an anti-discrimination statement and equal opportunity employer statement on job descriptions. Here’s an example from Resolutions NW: “RNW embraces excellence through diversity, advocates the principles and spirit of affirmative action, and is strongly committed to the promotion of race, gender, ability, and class equity through our hiring process. To this end, RNW is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates representing untapped communities are highly encouraged to apply.”
- The Racial Equity Coalition of Southern Oregon
- New England’s Food Solutions – 21 Day Equity Challenge
- Protocol for Culturally Responsive Organizations
Books, Articles, and Recorded Talks
- Structural Racism in the Food System: an annotated bibliography
- Cultivating Food Justice by Alison Hope Alkon and Julian Agyeman (overview here)
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
- “Municipal Government and Food Justice” by Megan Horst
- The Food Activists Handbook by Ali Berlow
- Ladonna Redmond Ted Talk
- “Unnatural Causes: Is inequity making us sick” – PBS series from 2008.
- The Color of Food: Stories of race, resilience, and farming by Natasha Bowens
- Building the Case for Racial Equity in the Food System: http://www.centerforsocialinclusion.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Building-the-Case-for-Racial-Equity-in-the-Food-System.pdf
- Food Firsts Racism in the Food System series
- Dismantling Racism in the Food System Backgrounder: https://foodfirst.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/DR1Final.pdf
- Equity as a common cause: How a sustainable food systems network is cultivating commitment to racial justice.
- Oregon Food Bank webinars do a great job of illustrating equity and the need for it.
- Nikki Silvestri
- Common Good Works, Bill Grace consulting
- Center for Equity and Inclusion
- PCUN’s Know Your Rights campaign
- The Nonprofit Association of Oregon has a great series of workshops. Cliff Jones is a very talented facilitator with helpful resources.
- Why we need to end the culture of “culture fit.” – Nonprofit AF
- 19 tips for making your job posting so amazing – Nonprofit AF
- Can we be a little nice to job applicants? – Nonprofit AF
- Guess who doesn’t fit in at work? – NY Times
- Diverse teams feel less comfortable and that’s why they perform better – Harvard Business Review
- Hiring Toolkit from position description to interview – avarna
- OFB’s Equity Statement
Community Engagement Resources:
Resident Engagement Guidebook