Sara Miller, Economic Development Specialist
101 NE First Street, Suite 100, Enterprise, OR 97828
Northeast Oregon Economic Development District (NEOEDD) is a public organization formed in 1985 by Baker, Union and Wallowa counties to enhance community and economic development services. Our mission is to provide resources and facilitate quality decision making for the benefit of entrepreneurs, businesses and communities in Northeast Oregon. NEOEDD staff participated in helping organize the Oregon CFS Network, and served on the initial leadership team.
Ongoing Food Systems Work
We provide business development and financing services (including Individual Development Accounts) to food/farm related businesses in our three county region. We provide limited staff support for the Wallowa County Food System Council which includes an annual strategic planning session, and coordination of updates and partnership opportunities. We provide limited or contracted technical assistance to non-profit organizations involved in food system work, such as grant research, grant reviews, strategic planning and organizational and systems development training.
We disseminate information via our monthly newsletter, periodic press releases and regular social media posts regarding financial, training, proposed and adopted policy changes and other resources for food/farm businesses and organizations.
We respond to requests for information in association with policy development, research on relevant food/farm and rural business development needs and issues. We provide referrals to producers and other agricultural partners in response to requests from researchers and those providing relevant resources or opportunities.
Project Specific Food Systems Work
We respond to the need for project specific work as time and funding resources allow. Examples of contracted and grant-funded work we have done includes:
- Farm/ranch succession planning workshops
- Grant-ready workshop series for non-profit organization system development
- Facilitation of public and food business educational events
- Community food assessments and organizing of a food system council
- Farm-to-preschool expansion programming
- Strategic planning for farmers markets and community gardens
- SNAP match program development and fundraising
- Product feasibility and market research for grassfed meat products
- Technical assistance for agritourism business development and marketing
- Commercial kitchen feasibility analysis
- Local investing/community capital training to support food/farm businesses
- Hosting site for the annual web-based Women in Agriculture conference