Katrina Van Dis, Director
Mission: To support a healthy and thriving food and farm network in Central Oregon through education, collaboration, and inclusivity.
Food and community are the heart of our mission. We work in concert with Central Oregon farms, businesses and organizations to implement projects, initiatives, networking events and conferences that create a more healthy and vibrant food and farm community. By working with our partners, we increase the success of our projects and decrease duplication of resources.
- Mini-grants for farmers to build or improve greenhouses or high/low tunnels through the Growing it Forward project funded by USDA.
- Workplace CSA – pairing local farmers with busy office employees to provide fresh local food at the convenience of their workplace.
- Farmer-Chef Mixer events to connect local producers with retailers, chefs, grocers and end users.
- Food and Farm Directory published annually and used as a resource to promote regions farmers, ranchers and food businesses that grow, raise and craft local products.
- Cooking Matters is a comprehensive 6-week hands-on cooking course that empowers low-income families with the skills to stretch their food budgets and cook healthy meals. We host spring and fall courses in Bend, LaPine, Madras, Prineville, Redmond, Sisters and Warm Springs.
- Grow & Give is fresh food donation program located at farmer’s markets where we collect over 10,000 pounds of fresh food from market patrons, farmers and gardeners that is donated to the regional food bank and their 46 food pantries. We also glean excess food from farmer’s fields in the spring and fall.
- VeggieRx is a fresh produce prescription program that improves healthy eating habits of individuals experiencing food insecurity and diagnosed with diet-modifiable disease. The pilot aims to increase the access to and consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits by participants who receive vouchers for produce and nutrition education at Bend Farmers Markets.